It was 1952 when H.B. McGrath first opened his Buick dealership in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Then, in 1957, H.B. McGrath sold the Buick store and relocated to Cedar Rapids, Iowa to open his next dealership, McGrath Pontiac.
Over the years, the family-owned business grew and continued to flourish. In 1974, Bruce McGrath became the dealer and constructed the current Pontiac dealership. In 1979, Pat McGrath joined the company, followed shortly thereafter by Mike McGrath.
"The success of McGrath Automotive Group is evident today with sixty years in the business and anew generation of car buyers-many who had parents and grandparents who purchased cars from McGrath".
- Bruce McGrath
The McGrath Family of Dealerships was formed in 1991 with the partnership of Mike McGrath Auto Center, Pat McGrath Oldsmobile-GMC-ISUZU and Pat McGrath Chevrolet. In 2015, a total of 10 name brands, 7 locations in 5 communities and 4 Used Car Superstores will make up the auto group's holdings. The company has grown into the largest family owned automotive company in Iowa.